Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Communication Towers

  1. #1
    Inactive Member RTH's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 14th, 2004
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello All,
    I have a few questions on proper grounding/lightning protection of a communication tower the I.T. department where I work has installed. I am the electrician who has been consulted on this one. Hopefully there is some wisdom and knowledge out there I can lean on!

    Here are the particulars:
    The steel tower is 32 feet in height, attached to a metal-clad building and rises 10-12 feet above the roof line. Let's assume the tower is not isolated from the building.
    This tower is used for radio communications providing internet and phone, and will be operating at 5.8 GHz.
    The type of cable being used are two Coax LMR 600 shielded copper core, and these cables do have lightning suppressors installed on them.
    My question is, what type of lightning rod/suppressor/arrestor would be suitable for this type of installation, if any at all, and how would something like this be properly grounded. Would a good earth ground suffice as lightning protection or would one provide both as separate systems?

    Pardon my ignorance on this one, haven't had much to do with this type of thing, I hope I can learn something here!

    Thanks, RTH

  2. #2
    Inactive Member twh's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 3rd, 2002
    Posts
    93
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's something to read while you wait:
    http://www.bdcast.com/papers/ground.pdf

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ September 14, 2004 09:53 PM: Message edited by: twh ]</font>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •